Summer Stunner: Upbeat songs for the summer

Joe Freedman, Life and Arts general reporter

With finals commencing and the air getting warmer, summertime is right around the corner. Alongside the experiences of adventure, self-growth and discovery that summer brings, the season needs music to follow along.

The Daily Texan compiled a playlist of songs for the summer to accompany travels, pool-side lounging and light up the long break. 

Slide – Calvin Harris (feat. Frank Ocean and Migos)

With high vocal inflections, Frank Ocean begins the track flaunting his wealth, claiming he might “buy that boy with a pipe,” referring to a famous Picasso painting that sold for a record breaking $104 million. Coasting on a tropical instrumental from Calvin Harris, Ocean questions the integrity of a summertime fling, wondering if they are trying to “slide” into his lavish lifestyle. This track perfectly encapsulates the feeling of carefree summer fun.

HOT WIND BLOWS – Tyler, The Creator (feat. Lil Wayne) 

An idyllic representation of international travel, this track puts Tyler, The Creator’s luxurious lifestyle on full display. With many students traveling internationally this summer, this song ties into the exploration that will be made through UT’s Maymester programs or worldwide backpacking excursions. 

hesitation – Andrew Garden

Backed with invigorating guitar riffs, this song plays out like a coming of age film. The turning of seasons brings change in our lives, and summertime boredom can leave us lost in our thoughts. As Andrew Garden sings, summertime is the perfect time to let loose and live life with no hesitations. 

No Time – Playboi Carti (feat. Gunna) 

With a floral instrumental from Don Cannon, this track embodies a summer day drive — one with the windows rolled down and music blaring as listeners cruise around town without a worry in the world. 

Summertime Sadness (Cedric Gervais Remix) – Lana Del Rey and Cedric Gervais

Detailing a search for love during a night on the town, this song captures summer flings in the warm air. Lana Del Rey’s lyrics capture the feeling of lost love perfectly, while Cedric Gervais’ EDM synths bring in a more upbeat tone.

Finally Alone – Mac DeMarco   

Finally Alone is an introvert’s anthem, relatable for anyone looking forward to spending time alone this summer. This song represents the peace that you can find by spending time by yourself outside of the city.

Break it off – PinkPantheress

While good memories may be missed, one-sided relationships are not worth maintaining. This song empowers listeners to “break it off” and live their best lives. 

waves (Tame Impala Remix) – Miguel and Tame Impala

A perfect song for a day at the beach, this track sees Miguel comparing the ups and downs of his relationship with surfing. Miguel does not want the honeymoon stage of his relationship to end and will do anything in his power to “ride the wave” as long as he can. For those looking for love this summer, know that while it might not last, it will bring many good memories.