New ‘Minions’ movie will make audiences laugh with minion mayhem

Courtesy of Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures

(from left) Gru (Steve Carell, back to camera), and Minions Bob, Kevin and Stuart in Illumination’s “Minions: The Rise of Gru,” directed by Kyle Balda.

Ryan Ranc, Life & Arts Reporter

“Minions: The Rise of Gru,” a prequel to “Despicable Me,” takes place in the 1970s and not only establishes Gru’s desire to grow up and be a villain, but also how the minions clumsily waltzed into the mini-boss lifestyle.

The minions have been a cultural phenomenon since their first appearance in 2010’s “Despicable Me.” While celebrated for their comedic, short, yellow bean-shaped stature, they feel best utilized in “Minions: The Rise of Gru,” as compared to their prior outings. The writers and animators give the creatures some of the most random comedic beats which stand out in the franchise: from a minion blasting party music at sad moments to a minion taking a cross-country journey on a big wheel. There’s something here for all ages. The humor is carefully crafted to strike a balance between comedy that’s goofy enough to make kids laugh but mature enough to appease the older crowd. That being said, who doesn’t laugh at the occasional fart joke?

As expected, this movie was just a way to bring the minions back to the screen to sell merchandise and keep the brand alive. However, perfectly crafted minion mayhem can’t make up for a relatively average and bland story. Fans of the franchise will be disappointed that the storyline lacks the depth of its predecessors. “Despicable Me” had a rich familial story injected with goofy comedic beats, but “Minions: The Rise of Gru” seems to lack the heart of the original story from Illumination.

“Minions: The Rise of Gru” seems self-aware of its purpose — to make more money off its iconic minion characters. As a result, the extreme commerciality and simplicity of its characters and plot do not hinder the overall experience. Audiences seeking casual entertainment can still find enjoyment because Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures embrace the idea of simplicity rather than jumping back and forth between a good story and minion product marketing, thereby creating a consistent and pleasant product. This movie knows what it’s trying to be, and therefore succeeds at delivering a good time.

While not necessarily a cinematic masterpiece, “Minions: The Rise of Gru” is a good comedy movie for kids and grown-ups alike. The film industry needs more movies made for the “Sure, why not?” mentality of casual audiences. Amid the chaos around people, a movie purely centered around these yellow lovable creatures created to make people smile is what audiences need. This movie has a little something for everyone, from 1970s references to Steve Carell’s excellent acting skills and, yes, minions making fart jokes.

3 ½ bananas out of 5