‘Terrifier 2’: Excellent, excessive gorefest for all horror fans

Ryan Ranc, Senior film columnist

Director Damien Leone splattered the screen with the presence of Art the Clown in his 2016 gore-tastic grindhouse horror film: “Terrifier.” Now, Leone and Art the Clown return for a sequel entitled: “Terrifier 2.”

Despite relying on a small $35K budget, every effect created for “Terrifier” felt real and disgusting on multiple levels. With a runtime of a measly one hour and 22 minutes, the movie delivered a fun and memorable slasher. The film uses practical gore effects to make all kinds of kills, which rarely occurs in the modern horror space. “Terrifier 2” used a budget of about $250K and executed a runtime of two hours and 18 minutes. This sequel delivers even more gore, fun and extravagance, leaving the door open for a possible third movie.

“Terrifier 2” stands out as the goriest and most brutal horror movie of the year. Horror fans will not want to miss the crazy practical effects and some of the year’s most jaw-dropping horror-filled scenes. Average moviegoers and people easily disgusted should take caution going into this bloody, gore-filled experience.

Art the Clown, played by David Howard Thornton, stood out as a potential horror icon in “Terrifier.” The way he maliciously kills people and finds glee in all his evil antics makes him both a terror and a joy to watch. If the first “Terrifier” film set the table for a horror icon, “Terrifier 2” prepares and eats the meal, marking Art the Clown as one of the slasher legends within the genre.

The original “Terrifier” carried out an incredibly bare-bones story. Two protagonists find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time and die at the hands of a killer clown, only to be avenged by another protagonist who survives.“Terrifier 2” takes this plot another step further, with many more characters and plot points. Each character either behaves in a likable way or acts downright evil, which blends nicely to offer a slate of victims that audiences can feel sympathy for when Art does what Art does best: kills them. The story itself stands out, but leaves audiences with more questions than answers, including the origins of Art the Clown and his newfound sidekick.

In terms of comedy, the film succeeds with many moments of dark humor. Whether it’s Art trying on accessories in a Halloween store or trick-or-treating with a bloody bag, elements of comedy in every scene end up breaking the tension. Leone clearly knew what direction to take this movie and did so expertly, satisfying horror fans’ gore-filled palette.

“Terrifier 2” showcases expertly-crafted, goofy fun for all audiences. Horror fans should keep an eye out for whatever Leone creates next, because it will certainly result in a gore-tastic time.

4 clown horns out of 5