Texas Stalking Project aims to create resources on campus for students being stalked

Meera Hatangadi, General News Reporter

A new UT project called the Texas Stalking Project will be operational by 2023 with the goal of being a resource to students experiencing stalking and cyberstalking.

Taking a multidisciplinary approach, the project involves mental health and safety services from around campus and external agencies to focus specifically on stalking and cyberstalking, said Caitlin Sulley, director of research and operations at UT’s Institute on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault.

“We’re working with stakeholders across campus to bring specialized training around stalking, including cyberstalking, and look at how technology is used for stalking,” Sulley said. “We want to find how to support survivors through safety planning, to train more people around what stalking is, how to identify it and how to be aware of it.” 

An electrical and computer engineering sophomore — who wished to remain anonymous — experienced cyberstalking, which she said soon turned into physical stalking, after receiving a message on Instagram from an unfamiliar source.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared,” the student said. “I didn’t know who he was for a really long time, so I didn’t know what to avoid. I couldn’t walk anywhere alone. I probably shared my location with four different people. I just never felt quite so helpless.”

Another obstacle the student encountered during her experience with cyberstalking was her unwillingness to get officials involved. With the relative novelty and uncertainty of cyberstalking, the victim said she was unsure if she was overreacting to the situation.

“I felt like I couldn’t talk to people because I didn’t want to get him in trouble because I didn’t know if he was just like a socially awkward person,” the student said. “I think it was just mainly that I didn’t know if it was as big of a deal as it needed to be since there was no point of reference.”

Katy Redd, associate director for prevention and development for Healthy Horns, said that for students who are going through stalking or cyberstalking but who are reluctant to get officials involved, there are many resources available. Through options like the Longhorn Wellness Center, Title IX, and Counseling Services, students can discuss their options with qualified staff without taking formative action, or with taking action if they so decide.

“One of the things offered through counseling in mental health centers, in addition to counseling, is advocacy — an appointment for students who aren’t sure what to do and want to talk to someone in a confidential space where they can walk through different options,” Redd said. “There’s other University resources (that) can provide a similar service as well.”

With the increasing use of technology, Redd said that the project aims to tackle cyberstalking and different forms of interpersonal violence to be responsive to what’s happening in the UT community.