Looking back, looking forward on a semester of Texas sports

Football

Looking back: The Longhorns, led by redshirt freshman quarterback Quinn Ewers, blanked Oklahoma and nearly upset then-No. 1 Alabama en route to an 8-4 regular season. Texas missed out on a Big 12 title game appearance after finishing third in the conference.

Looking forward: The Longhorns appear set for their third Alamo Bowl appearance in the last four years. Star junior running back Bijan Robinson is a finalist for the Doak Walker award and will soon decide whether or not to turn pro. Offseason turnover has begun as players have started entering the transfer portal, including backup redshirt sophomore quarterback Hudson Card.

Soccer

Looking back: The Longhorns enjoyed one of their most successful seasons in recent memory, securing a regular season Big 12 title after going undefeated in conference play. Texas took down rival Texas A&M 3-1 in the NCAA Tournament opener before losing to Duke in the second round.

Looking forward: The Longhorns’ young core, featuring star duo Lexi Missimo and Trinity Byars, will key the charge next season. In addition, defender EmJ Cox, forward Holly Ward and midfielders Jilly Shimkin and Ashlyn Miller, all sophomores, make up an exciting returning group to make another run next year.

Volleyball

Looking back: The Longhorns held the No. 1 spot for most of the season en route to a 22–1 record and a sixth consecutive conference title. Texas took down Ohio State, Minnesota and Stanford during the regular season, with their only slipup coming against Iowa State in Ames. 

Looking forward: The Longhorns earned the top overall seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host the opening rounds of the tournament at Gregory Gym. Head coach Jerritt Elliott is in search of the program’s first national title since 2012.

Men’s Basketball

Looking back: The Longhorns entered the season as the No. 12 team in the country and have climbed all the way to No. 2 in the polls a month later. Texas took down then-No. 2 Gonzaga at home in the Moody Center 93-74 on Nov. 16. Sophomore guard Tyrese Hunter leads the team with 16.2 points per game.

Looking forward: The Longhorns have numerous quality non-conference opponents remaining on their schedule, including Illinois, Stanford and Tennessee, before running the Big 12 gauntlet. Texas is in search of its first Final Four appearance since 2003.

Women’s Basketball

Looking back: The Longhorns entered the season as the No. 3 team in the country before dropping three of their first four games. Star sophomore guard Rori Harmon missed the first five games with a foot injury. Since the start of the season, the Longhorns have slipped to No. 22 in the polls.

Looking forward: With Harmon back on the court, the Longhorns will look to reach a winning record again against South Florida. Texas will face Southern California as part of its non-conference schedule before beginning Big 12 play in late December. In his third year, head coach Vic Schaefer will hope to lead the Longhorns to their third straight Elite Eight appearance.

Swimming and Diving

Looking back: The Longhorns hosted a one-of-a-kind double dual meet against Virginia in November that saw the men’s and women’s teams compete together on one day and separately the next. The teams combined to take down Virginia before both teams individually took down the Cavaliers, with the women’s team upsetting the top-ranked Virginia women’s program in the process.

Looking forward: Both teams will continue their regular season schedules into next semester, developing their skills in preparation for the NCAA Championships in March. The men are led by junior Carson Foster, and the women are led by senior Kelly Pash.