Texas Athletics’ 4EVER Texas program helps student-athletes beyond their sport

Justice DuBois, Associate Editor

Under bright stadium lights and the gaze of tens of thousands of people both in the stands and at home, college sports have historically defined the “college experience.” This is especially true in Austin, where UT’s diehard fanbase has supported many athletes over the decades. For student-athletes, their sport can become their whole identity, focus and reason for being. However, this leaves little room for the reality that some athletes may not make it to the pros.

According to the NCAA, fewer than 2% of collegiate athletes become professional athletes. This fact can be psychologically damaging to some athletes, who may not be prepared for a potential future without their sport. When one’s entire motivation and drive comes from their sport, it can be extremely difficult to see a life without it.

Texas Athletics’ 4EVER TEXAS program has been an excellent resource for student-athletes to develop their professional skills through exclusive job fairs, networking, mentorship and more. This invaluable resource helps athletes see beyond the idea of just becoming a professional and prepares students for their different opportunities. 

Texas Athletics has garnered many top recruits across the country in various sports. Many of these recruits have spent their whole lives preparing to go to the big leagues. Their goal? Sign a lucrative contract to play in the professional league of their specific sport. However, the chances of college fan favorites making it to the professional level are often slim to none.

Ricky Brown, executive senior associate athletics director of the 4EVER TEXAS and DE&I programs, explained that 4EVER TEXAS provides athletes with a structure to evaluate their career goals outside of sports.

“It’s a chance for our student-athletes who have such demanding workloads, particularly those that are in season,” Brown said. “They’re studying, … they’re going to class, they are studying film, sessions and their performance; they’re doing training, competition and travel. It’s difficult for them to find opportunities to have exposure during these really busy schedules.”

Although student-athletes receive many benefits such as scholarships and sponsorships, these accommodations are limited to their athletic abilities, which raises the question of what happens after their athletic careers. Exploring career opportunities outside of sports allows students to have other options in case their plans of going to the pros fall short. 

William Spencer, a junior radio, television and film senior and a member of the rowing team, believes that the 4EVER TEXAS program is very beneficial to student-athletes.

“One of the long-term gripes with student-athletes is they come to college, spend all their time on their sport, forgo actually paying attention to school and their future career, get done with college, and don’t make the league,” Spencer said. “Then they can’t rely on their athleticism anymore. I think (4EVER TEXAS) addresses a problem that is pretty prevalent. I think it’s a good step.”

While UT is nationally recognized for its high caliber of sports and athletes, it is important to remember that student-athletes are students first. The 4EVER TEXAS program is a great opportunity to support student-athletes beyond their athleticism.

DuBois is a public relations and sociology sophomore from Killeen, Texas.