Innovative stuttering research, education of UT’s Blank Center featured in new memoir

Mason Rouser, General News Reporter

The Arthur M. Blank Center for Stuttering Education and Research’s innovative approach to stuttering therapy was featured in a newly published memoir from author John Hendrickson. The book, titled “Life on Delay: Making Peace with a Stutter,” recounts Hendrikson’s own lifelong experiences of living with a stutter.

In the memoir, journalist Hendrickson takes a closer look at the aspects of his life affected by his stutter. He investigates the evolution and myths of stuttering speech therapy, research that led him to Courtney Byrd, the founding and executive director of UT’s Blank Center. Byrd developed a new therapy that does not focus on fluency or smooth speech, but on giving those who stutter a means to speak effectively.

“(Fluency-shaping therapy) views fluency as the only goal, and if you keep stuttering, you’re essentially failing,” Hendrickson said. “It’s a very hard thing because this is a neurological disorder with a complex genetic component. We’re talking brain chemistry, and for a certain portion of the population, no amount of therapy is going to change their brain chemistry.”

The therapy model pioneered by Byrd is called the CARE model. The model seeks to empower those who stutter by focusing on communication, advocacy, resiliency and education. However, Byrd said it is one not openly embraced within the profession as many misunderstand its goals.

“I’ve had papers and grants rejected time and time again (saying) we don’t see any value in what you’re doing because people are leaving your program, and they’re still stuttering,” Byrd said. “But guess what? The people who do see the value are the people who stutter and that’s really all I care about.”

Sophia Westwood, the Blank Center PR student officer, said she grew up with a best friend who stutters and is just one of many inspired by the innovations of Byrd’s work. 

“It was Dr. Byrd’s passion and the people that I met who were impacted through her and what she did that drew me to (the Blank Center),” journalism freshman Westwood said. 

Both Hendrickson and Byrd said they hope through their work they bring awareness to what it is really like to have a stutter and break down the misconceptions associated with it.

“I have the privilege of being able to see (people) realize they actually can do all the things that society has said they can’t and how transformative that is,” Byrd said. “It’s beyond inspirational and it’s what drives me every day to try to reach as many people as we can.”