First multi-level H-E-B in Austin opens, provides grocery access for University Apartments residents

Julius Shieh

A pedestrian stops and looks upwards at a new H-E-B sign. The Lake Austin location, which opened on Feb. 15, will be the first in Austin to feature two stories.

Julius Shieh, General News Reporter

A ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrated the opening of the first multi-level H-E-B grocery store in Austin on Wednesday.

The Lake Austin H-E-B store, which began construction in 2019, features a variety of amenities, from a coffee shop to pizza and barbecue restaurants. It’s the location, however, that has some students talking.

Mathematics junior Jose Chavez lives at UT’s Brackenridge Apartments and said it is just a five minute walk to the new location compared to the 10 minute drive to the Westlake H-E-B. 

“(Lake Austin H-E-B) is a pretty walkable distance, and it’s really close by,” Chavez said. “It’s really accessible for everyone.”

The Lake Austin location is located near several UT-owned apartments, less than a mile away from the Brackenridge Apartments and less than half a mile away from the Colorado Apartments.

CapMetro’s 663 UT Shuttle route also makes the grocery commute convenient. The shuttle, which serves the downtown and Lake Austin areas, also makes a stop that is only a tenth of a mile away from the new store.

The 97,000-square-foot grocery store may soon compete with the Hancock Center location for student convenience and access. According to Google Maps, a bus ride to either the Hancock Center or the Lake Austin location from campus will take about 20-30 minutes in either direction.

Chavez said anticipation for the new store is high.

“A lot of the residents here are pretty excited for the H-E-B,” Chavez said. “It’s a good thing for students and for the local community as well.”