No. 1/1 Texas softball falls in Women’s College World Series championship series opener to No. 2/2 Oklahoma

Mariah Barsotti

In the Women’s College World Series championship series opener against No. 2/2 Oklahoma, No. 1/1 Texas softball looked flustered in an 8-3 loss.

With a roaring red crowd that was only spurred on by an early Sooner lead, the Longhorns started to make costly errors both offensively and defensively. And despite renewed energy in the sixth inning, it was too little, too late.

“We got away from our plan, and we weren’t helping ourselves,” senior infielder Joley Mitchell said. “We really need to stick to our plan and just play Texas softball.”

Starting in the first inning, freshman pitcher Teagan Kavan’s nerves came out in the circle, as she went up against the top of the batting order.

Kavan clipped the lead-off batter’s forearm in the first inning, putting a runner on first. Then, with a full count on the board, the second batter Kavan faced hit a two-run home run. 

With a Sooner double and advancing to third on a wild pitch, it wasn’t looking good for the Longhorns.

But Kavan survived the first inning without putting any more runs on the board and Texas was ready to quickly strike back.

“It was a rough start for our freshman,” head coach Mike White said. “But I’m hoping that she learns from that, and we’ll be better for it in the future.” 

On the third pitch, junior Mia Scott hit the ball hard enough to just barely get over the right-field wall, bringing the score up to 1-2. 

But after Scott’s home run, the Longhorns struggled to get more runs on the board. 

The main cause of the Longhorns’ offensive troubles: Sooner pitcher Kelly Maxwell.

Maxwell was in the circle for 148 pitches against Florida the day before, but she made her way back in the circle for her first back-to-back game this season. With varying speeds and types of pitches, Maxwell made it hard for Texas hitters to get on base.

“She was throwing a good game,” freshman infielder Katie Stewart said. “She was spotting her pitches, and we were chasing.”

Kavan continued to struggle in the third inning as the top of the batting order came around again. A two-run home run followed immediately by a solo home run brought the score to 5-1 and took Kavan out of the game. 

The Sooners had never lost a game when they had a lead greater than four runs, with a record of 199–0.

The Longhorns tried to break that streak in the bottom of the sixth inning, taking advantage as the Sooners also started to slip up and make mistakes.

Sophomore shortstop Viviana Martinez was the first to get a hit off of Maxwell since Scott’s home run. A ball driven hard to first base popped off the hand of the first baseman and rolled to the far corner of the field, allowing Martinez to get to third.

Then, with a solid hit into right field, Stewart drove in Martinez to get her fifth World Series RBI and bring the score up to 7-2.

Mitchell hit almost the exact same ball, hitting the grass just in front of outfielders on the right side and was able to bring in fellow senior infielder Alyssa Washington for the last Longhorn run of the game.

“It’s like I said to (the team) ‘It’s not about how hard you fall, it’s about how hard you bounce,’” White said. “We got to come back and bounce back from adversity right now, otherwise we go home. It’s pretty simple. It’s fight or go home.”

Texas will look to fight and bounce back Thursday, playing the second game of the series against Oklahoma at 7 p.m. CST.