Longhorns 2013 recruiting class boasts quality, not quantity

AddThis

Another year, another top-five ranked recruiting class for Texas football, right? Wrong.  After several consecutive subpar seasons under coach Mac Brown, Texas’ recruiting numbers slipped a bit yesterday on national signing day.  However, this drop in ranking is not due to a lack of talent among the newest members of the Longhorns’ football team.  Rather, it is because there are so few of them.  With only 15 recruits, this is by far the smallest recruiting class under Brown in recent memory.  Will this group of players, despite its sheer lack of numbers, be able to shoulder the load and restore Texas’ football program to prominence?  Only time will tell.  In the mean time, here is a breakdown of the Longhorns’ 2013 recruiting class:

23: The overall ranking of the 2013 recruiting by scouts.com, Texas’ worst class ranking since it was ranked #16 five years ago.  It is only the second time in the last eight years in which the Longhorns have not had a top-five ranked recruit class.

15: Total recruits in Texas’ 2013 recruiting class, a big drop down from last year’s class, which had 28.  The last time the Longhorns received less than 20 commitments was eight years ago, in 2005.  This year’s class took a big hit from decommitments by key recruits, including wide receiver Ricky Seals-Jones and defensive end Daeshon Hall, who both chose Texas A&M.

11: Four-star rated recruits in the recruiting class.  The key players in this group are Kent Perkins, who is the No. 3 ranked offensive tackle in the nation, dual-threat quarterback Tyrone Swoopes and No. 1-ranked center Darius James. 

6: Defensive players in the recruiting class, including defensive back Antwuan Davis, who is a four-star recruit out of Bastrop.  Davis and the other defensive players in the 2013 class will be expected to make a strong contribution to a Texas defense that had its worst statistical season in school history last year.

3.67: The average player rating of the 2013 class, according to scouts.com. This rating is good for ninth overall in the nation and tops in the Big 12, although it is the first time since 2010 that Texas has not ranked first overall in average player rating.

0: Five-star rated recruit in this year’s recruiting class, a massive disappointment for Mac Brown and the Longhorns after last year’s class had five. Texas had five five-star recruits decommit throughout the recruiting process, including defensive lineman Andrew Billings, who committed to Baylor on Wednesday.