Men’s track and field sends four to NCAA Indoor Championships

The NCAA Indoor Championships gathers the best and brightest athletes in the college track and field circuit on one track. Within the group of talented individuals competing this year will be four Longhorns, ready and waiting for their shot at an individual national championship.

The group that will head to Fayetteville, Ark., for Friday and Saturday’s meet is made up of a trio of seniors — thrower Hayden Baillio, long distance runner Joe Stilin and hurdler Keiron Stewart — and freshman Johannes Hock. All come off solid indoor seasons and have a chance to prove themselves as the best in the country after testing their formidableness at the Big 12 meet.

Stewart, Hock and Baillio easily outmatched their competitors in Iowa, winning Big 12 titles in respective events and will hope to do just as well against top-notch competition in Arkansas. Their nerves shouldn’t be frayed as Baillio and Stewart are marking their third and fourth appearances at the meet.

Hock, who hails from Germany, will make his first NCAA appearance after a dominant first-place finish in the heptathlon at the Big 12 meet. He has grown well in a short time after joining the team in January.

Stilin, another new face to the team, will mark his second NCAA meet, but first in a Texas uniform. The Princeton transfer has already become an integral part of the team and is now part of Texas’ record books, holding the school’s top marks in the 3,000 meters and the mile.