Buyers and Sellers at the NHL Trade Deadline: Who could be on the move?

AddThis

The NHL’s April 3 trade deadline is looming, and there are plenty of teams buying and selling. Here is a look at who should be the most active buyers and sellers, and which players could be on the move in the next few days.

The Sellers:

Calgary Flames (12-14-4)

They’ve been at or near the bottom of the West for a majority of the season, and though still alive in the playoff race, their realistic ceiling is the 7-8 seed – probably a first-round exit playing Chicago or Anaheim. So why not ship off 35-year-old winger Jarome Iginla to a legitimate contender and see what value you can get in return? Iginla is the most coveted Flame right now, and Calgary’s front office has fielded a number of calls about his status. I expect he’ll be sent east, probably to Boston. There have been rumors that Jay Bouwmeester is also available, but I think the Flames will hold onto him. He’s under 30, and one of the league’s most durable and complete defensemen.

Dallas Stars (15-14-3)

They just traded mainstay center and captain Brendan Morrow and a third-round pick to Pittsburgh for highly touted defenseman prospect Joe Morrow (no relation) and a sixth-round pick. But they aren’t done. GM Joe Nieuwendyk remains committed to retooling this team by developing youth and depth. On the Stars trading block right now is third line center Derek Roy, who is an unrestricted free agent this summer. Roy, 29, currently has 20 points (4 G, 16 A) and has reportedly rejected the Stars’ offer to re-sign him after this season, so they can either trade him and get some value or let him go for nothing. The Stars' asking price has been high – they are looking for a projected top six forward. Like Iginla, expect Roy to head east, as Dallas will probably try to get him out of its conference. Ignore the Jagr trade rumors. He is too important to the Stars, and he is expected to be re-signed.

The Buyers:

Boston Bruins (21-7-3)

They are on the hunt for almost any major trade out there. They are looking to take over that top seed in the Eastern Conference, and boy, will it be a dogfight with Montreal and Pittsburgh. Already an imposing and physical team I’m not sure they need someone like Iginla, but instead could really benefit from a flashy creator up the middle – someone like center Mike Ribeiro from Washington, who is rumored to be available. They have the prospects to dangle, so we’ll have to see what happens.

Ottawa Senators (18-9-6)

They’ve been in talks with Dallas about Roy, but are hesitant to give in to Dallas’ demands: a top six forward. But ever since defenseman Eric Karlsson went down with that nasty Achilles injury, they’ve been a little thin on the blue line. So maybe they look at a Jay Bouwmeester? But then again, Calgary will want a hefty return for him. Ottawa needs to make a move to compete with Boston and Pittsburgh, and it doesn't quite have the same level of prospects, so it is undoubtedly in the toughest position to negotiate.