Longhorns WR Kendall Sanders arrested, charged with DWI

Texas rising sophomore wide receiver Kendall Sanders was arrested and charged for DWI on Saturday morning in Brazos County and released on $3,000 bond.

He was confined at 5:10 a.m. and released at 7:43 a.m., according to his police report. The 6-foot, 183-pound Athens, Texas native turns 19 next month. Head coach Mack Brown said the disciplinary process will be handled in-house.

“We’re aware of Kendall’s situation, have talked with him and his family, and are disappointed any time one of our players is accused of wrongdoing,” Brown said in a statement. “We take a strong stance against drinking and driving and will continue to monitor this situation to get more details. Following the completion of the legal process, we will do what’s best for the University, Kendall and the team. One thing we have great pride in about our program is our family atmosphere and there also will be discipline handled within our family.”

Sanders, who made two catches for 15 yards as a freshman last season, had an impressive 24-yard touchdown catch in last weekend’s Orange-White Scrimmage. He was a leading candidate to start for the Longhorns this upcoming season with Marquise Goodwin leaving.

Sanders is the latest in a long line of Texas football players to be accused of wrongdoing in the past few months. Fellow sophomore wide receiver Cayleb Jones was charged with felony aggravated assault of Longhorns tennis player Joey Swaysland earlier this year. Sophomore backup quarterback Connor Brewer was arrested and charged with public intoxication in February. Seniors Case McCoy and Jordan Hicks were accused of sexually assaulting a San Antonio woman last December, although no charges were filed.