Longhorns top Aggies in first home meet

AddThis

The No. 7 Longhorns swam their way to a victory against No. 14 Texas A&M on Thursday. 

Texas started off strong, winning the first nine events of the day. The team went on to top the Aggies, 166.5-128.5.

“We won some close races today, and that makes us really happy,” head coach Carol Capitani said. “It’s a source of pride, and we did this one for the Longhorns fans. It’s nice to be on the winning side of the coin.”

Sophomore Joanna Evans, senior Madisyn Cox and junior Rebecca Millard shined for the Longhorns. Evans picked up a win in the 1,000-yard freestyle, while Cox and Millard led Texas to a win in the 200-yard medley relay. 

The Longhorns also took first in both diving events, where freshman Alison Gibson and sophomore Meghan O’Brien each won the 3-meter and 1-meter respectively. 

“I’m really pleased with the way we swam today,” Capitani said. “I think it’s a testament to how hard we are working right now. We’re paying attention to little details, and for the most part, we’re doing those little things right.” 

Senior Tasija Karosas, freshman Claire Adams and sophomore Olivia Anderson also had big days, making NCAA provisional cuts. The provisional cuts allow the three to compete at the NCAA Championships in March without having to qualify separately. 

The women face off against North Carolina State on Friday at 5 p.m.