Texan may be first openly gay US attorney nominee

AddThis

A University law professor might be nominated as the first openly gay U.S. attorney for Texas.

Adjunct professor Robert Pitman is currently a U.S. magistrate judge for the Western District of Texas which spans from Austin to El Paso. Pitman is also a graduate of the School of Law.

Three other nominations for the other Texas districts are expected to be announced soon by White House officials. The White House notified Texas Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn about the selections, according to the San Antonio Express-News.

Both senators recommended Pitman for the position. They will have to approve the selections if Pitman is officially nominated.

He has taught a signature freshman Plan II course and worked with professor Michael Stoff, director of the Plan II Honors program.

“He has clearly brought real world knowledge of the law to his classroom and an empathetic sensibility to his students,” Stoff said. “I think helping to shape young minds, helping them to explore subjects with depth and sensibility can only help him as a U.S. attorney.”

Interim U.S. attorneys who were not presidentially appointed have been serving in the positions for the past two years.

Various bumps have slowed down the selection process in recent years including disagreement between Democrats and Republicans about which candidates to choose.

“The administration has disregarded its previous agreement and our hope for more change in the Texas justice system after decades of total Republican domination,” Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas, told the Express-News in an article Monday.

Pitman declined to comment on his potential appointment.