‘False Alarm’ alerts a new era for Two Door Cinema Club

False Alarm Courtesy Prolifica Inc
Courtesy of Pacifica

The noughtie days are back with a digital upgrade, courtesy of Ireland’s favorite indie-rock band. Two Door Cinema Club’s latest LP, False Alarm, harnesses the power of electronic pop while drawing from the development of indie-rock over the past decade. The album exceeds the majority of the band’s discography, but fails to compare to debut album Tourist History.

The trio’s latest release marks their fourth album and the follow-up to Gameshow, a poor attempt at self rediscovery. However, since Gameshow’s release in 2016, the band has found themselves reinventing their sound and crafting an accumulation of songs that feels like an earnest tribute to the indie-rock genre. Two Door’s LP symbolizes the second wave of indie-rock music — a genre that makes the old feel new with dreamlike synths and pacing lyrics.

The beginning of the album takes the listener “Back to the Future,” literally, as it sounds like it’s playing in a retro-futuristic diner Marty McFly would walk into wearing self-lacing Nikes. “Talk” and “Satisfaction Guaranteed” are staples in an album where Alex Trimble’s vocals and Kevin Baird’s synths mesh to create a sense of nostalgia.

Though “Satisfaction Guaranteed” is a song worth skipping, “Talk” is definitely one of Two Door’s more creative songs throughout their four albums and proves their attempt at electronic-pop music in Gameshow was not a one and done deal.

As the listener hops into the DeLorean throughout the album, the use of electronic music undergoes a subtle change from dance-pop to dream-pop. The end of “So Many People” and “Think” mark a point in Two Door Cinema Club’s history where the band sounds most like themselves at their best. Though the songs are far from their 2011 hit debut single “What You Know,” the trio’s interpretation of dream-pop is a refreshing take and a testament to the indie-rock band’s range.

The album tapers off and begins to fall into the pattern associated with any Two Door Cinema Club album. However, songs like “Break” and “Satellite” are unique and creative, the latter of which allows the listener to feel the essence of Two Door Cinema Club — an all-around fun band with a high replay value.

Amid the journey through time, Two Door Cinema Club ends the album abruptly with “Already Gone,” making an awkward end to what is otherwise an impressive release from a band that lost their sound. 

False Alarm is a refreshing sound that’s definitely worth a listen. Though they may never find the same success from Tourist History, Two Door Cinema Club is back with the catchy riffs that make listeners want to dance under neon lights. 

Listening Time: 47 min 29 sec