News

Faculty join students in front of Main Mall to protest yesterdays arrests and the ongoing violence in Gaza. They also called on President Jay Hartzell to resign.

Faculty protest student arrests in front of Tower, call for Hartzell resignation

Sarah Brager, Mason Rouser April 25, 2024

Nearly 1000 faculty and students gathered in front of the UT Tower today to protest at least 57 arrests made Wednesday, when law enforcement in riot gear attempted to shut down a pro-Palestine protest...

People gather in front of Travis County Jail after arrests were made on the University of Texas at Austins campus Wednesday.

Pro-Palestine protest forms at Travis County Jail following arrests earlier in the day

Kylee Howard, Associate New Editor April 25, 2024

A pro-Palestine protest of around 150 people formed at the Travis County Jail Wednesday night. The gathering is in response to the arrests of at least 34 people on UT campus earlier in the day during a...

ACLU sues Travis County for not providing attorneys at arrestees’ first hearings

Christian DeBrady, General News Reporter April 25, 2024

Travis County’s criminal justice system is under scrutiny after failing to provide arrestees legal representation at their first judicial hearing — known as Counsel at First Appearance, or CAFA —...

Carmen Llanes Pulido (top left), Kathie Tovo (top right), Kirk Watson (bottom left), Doug Greco (bottom right)

Who’s on the ballot for Austin mayor?

Matthew Gomez, General News Reporter April 24, 2024

Mayor Kirk Watson announced his bid to run for re-election on April 10, making him the fourth candidate to enter the race. The other candidates are Carmen Llanes Pulido, Doug Greco and Kathie Tovo.  Kirk...

Jackson School of Geosciences to build pavilion in White Family Outdoor Learning Center

Emma Nguyen, General News Reporter April 24, 2024

The Jackson School of Geosciences fundraised over $700,000 during the University’s fundraising challenge on April 11 and 12 to fund the construction of a pavilion in an outdoor learning center off campus.  The...

Law enforcement channels protesters past Sutton Hall on Wednesday during the pro-Palestine protest.

Students, faculty, law enforcement clash at pro-Palestine protest

Ren Leija, Naina Srivastava, and Maryam Ahmed April 24, 2024

UPDATE: The number of confirmed arrests is now 57, according to the Travis County Sheriff's office, as of 10:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. Hundreds of protesters chanted “free Palestine” and “off...

Law enforcement agencies work to fight rise in motor vehicle thefts around Austin

Jaelyn Rodriguez, General News Reporter April 24, 2024

UTPD responded to two separate incidents of motor vehicle theft, within two days of each other, on University property earlier this month. According to UTPD's X, two vehicles belonging to University-affiliated...

Hundreds of UT Austin students, faculty gather on campus for pro-Palestine protest

Ren Leija, Senior News Reporter April 24, 2024

Hundreds of students and faculty are gathered on Main Mall to protest the Israel-Hamas war and call for the University to divest from weapons manufacturing. The protest, organized by Austin’s...

Texas Antiquities Advisory Board recommends landmark status for Steve Hicks School of Social Work Building

Julian Petzold, General News Reporter April 24, 2024

The Texas Antiquities Advisory Board recommended the Texas Historical Commission grant landmark status to the University Junior High building in an April 3 meeting. The recommendation, which delays...

Kaz Elenes, an International Relations and Global Studies and Plan II sophomore, speaks during the open forum period of a Student Government meeting on April 23, 2024.

Student Government passes resolution in support of student committee to preserve community resources

Maryam Ahmed, Senior News Reporter April 24, 2024

The Student Government passed a resolution last night calling for the creation of a student committee to preserve the resources in WCP 2.112. Advocates for the space attended the meeting to show their...

Community members discuss emotional distress, challenges of phone theft at Austin bars

Max Kinser, General Projects Reporter April 24, 2024

Gracie Warhurst’s phone used to have on it a funny picture of her dad, who passed away in 2020. She remembers the picture well; he was at Whataburger after a football game holding up one of the numbered...

News