Cayleb Jones felony to be reduced

Texas wide receiver Cayleb Jones’ felony charge was dismissed and will be reduced to a misdemeanor to be tried by the county attorney, according to officials from the Travis County District Attorney’s Office and the Travis County Attorney’s Office. 

Jones punched UT tennis player Joey Swaysland on Feb. 22 outside a downtown nightclub after confronting Swaysland and UT volleyball player Khat Bell, according to police. The blow fractured Swaysland’s jaw. Jones was charged with felony aggravated assault on March 12, a criminal offense punishable by up to 20 years in prison. 

Bell told police she had previously been in a relationship with Jones, who had threatened Swaysland before and was jealous of Bell seeing other men — specifically Swaysland. 

According to Nick Valdez, an official at the district attorney’s office, the case was dismissed as a felony and submitted as a reduction to the county attorney’s office on April 12. 

Corby Holcomb, assistant director for the trial division at the county attorney’s office, said the county attorney will examine the case and decide whether to prosecute after the case is filed. As of now, the case has not been filed. 

“Nothing will happen for a while,” Holcomb said.

At a hearing at the 167th Criminal District Court on Monday morning, the case was reset for May 20. Valdez said the reset is misleading due to a lag between computer systems at the two offices, calling the reset “insignificant” because the decision to prosecute is out of the district attorney’s hands. 

UT head football coach Mack Brown issued a statement saying Jones will not participate in team activities until his charges are finalized. 

“We are aware of Cayleb’s situation and disappointed any time one of our players is accused of wrongdoing,” Brown said. “We have talked with Cayleb and his family, and he has been suspended from all team activities pending the completion of the legal process. Any further action will be handled at the conclusion of the legal process.”

Jones’ attorney Rickey Durante Jones could not be reached for comment.