West campus construction delays students’ moving into apartments, forces students into temporary accommodations

2012-08-29_Apartment_Pu
Pu Ying Huang

Maid Zeny Garcia cleans a bed in a West Campus Lux apartment unit Tuesday afternoon. The tenants, after facing a delay in their move-in date due to construction, will have access to their units starting today.

Two West Campus apartment complexes slated for completion before the start of the school year are still under construction, forcing students and management teams to look at creative solutions.

While dorms and apartments in West Campus have benefited from a larger than normal incoming class, Longhorn Lux and Grand Marc apartment complexes face delays. The two complexes have left students without expected services and forced some into temporary accommodations.

At Grand Marc, students are currently living in the apartment building as construction continues. Longhorn Lux has sent its residents to the DoubleTree by Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn downtown, charging prorated rent starting when they move into the hotel.

Kyle Meyer, supply chain management junior and Grand Marc resident, said construction has obstructed his job-hunting process.

“We haven’t had Internet for the past couple days, so it impacted little things like sending in resumes and job applications,” he said. “They’ve done well to compensate by giving us half-off of next month’s rent. But half-off rent will only get you so far.”

At 24th and Longview streets, Longhorn Lux is aiming to have students moved in Aug. 29, Evan Martin, real estate agent for Ely Properties, said. He said students have been displaced by the delays, as classes begin.

“I’ve already had a father come to the office yelling,” Martin said. “It’s just insane.”

“Because of the delay, we gave out monetary compensation to the students who weren’t able to move in on time and provided amenities at the Hilton Garden Inn and DoubleTree Hotel,” Martin said. “Our agency is feeling the pressure for not having the property ready in time. We bought it assuming it would be ready by the 15th. We can empathize with the students as we are in the same kind of bind.”

DoubleTree sales manager Julie Boyce said the hotel sees an increase in UT students every year when school starts, but this year’s situation has sent even more students their way.