Things to do in Austin to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month

Emma George

Marked by ballet folklórico, mariachi and bright pastel decorations, Hispanic Heritage Month has officially kicked off. Starting from Sept. 15 through Oct. 15, there are various activities to help celebrate the occasion. Whether you love performances, food, decorating or just want a study break, there are several events that have free admission throughout Austin. 

The Crafty Adult: Talavera Pottery Painting

If you’re into arts and crafts, then this event may appeal to you. Offered every Saturday from this week until Oct. 15, the Austin Public Library will host a Talavera pottery painting class, the Spanish pottery that uses a decorative tile technique. The locations are different each Saturday, and you can view them all, along with their other Hispanic heritage events, here

La Discoteca

Presented by UT’s own Mexican-American Culture Committee, “La Discoteca” reggaeton-inspired event will feature music, performances, dancing, prizes and more. The event will be from 6 to 8 p.m. on Oct. 5 in the William C. Powers Ballroom. 

Sazon Latin Food Festival

Savor up your Sunday with a variety of Latin cuisine. With more than 20 vendors, allow your tastebuds to explore various foods from the Caribbean, Central and South America. Located outside of Ani’s Day & Night, a Hispanic-owned coffee shop and bar, there will also be a live DJ with dessert and drinks, with everything available from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 15. 

Plaza Colombian Coffee and live music

While not a specific event, this coffee shop is known for its Colombian-inspired food and drinks, along with Latin live music nights on Fridays and Saturdays. When you step inside, you are greeted with homey Latin decorations, as if you’re walking through vibrant and vintage Colombian streets. Apart from the live music, you are also welcome to chat or study as Latin music plays from speakers during the day. Personally, I enjoy their sweet bee latte and pastel gloria bread.

Mexic-Arte Museum’s 40th Annual Viva La Vida Festival & Parade

From sugar skulls to marigold flower crowns, Aztec dancers to ballet folklórico, the Viva La Vida Festival & Parade offers a lot of activities to honor Hispanic heritage and the Day of the Dead. After the parade at noon, you are able to visit different areas of the festival where you can make arts and crafts, attend a costume contest, watch dancing and singing, and buy from a variety of vendors. Viva La Vida will be located at Fourth St. and South Congress Ave. from 12 to 6 p.m. on Oct. 28. 

Editor’s note: This story was originally reported in Spanish. Check out more of our original Spanish reporting on our Texan en Español Reporting page.