Fans line up at theaters for ‘Eclipse’ premiere

Despite unfavorable weather conditions and endless lines at box offices, Twilight fans of Austin managed to make it to the theater early Tuesday afternoon for the opening night of “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse,” the third book-to-movie adaptation in the four-part Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer.

All Eclipse showings at the Alamo Drafthouse on South Lamar have been sold out for over a week and are expected to remain that way for days to come.

The Drafthouse offered a “triple feature” showing all three Twilight movies that have come out thus far back-to-back for eager fans.

“I have people here who have been waiting in line since 3 p.m. for the ‘triple feature’ showing,” said Tyler Bucksath, a Drafthouse employee.

“I expect this Twilight movie to sell more than the last two movies have,” Bucksath said. “I anticipate every Twilight show to sell out for at least the next two weeks.”

Ariel Cinsel, who just graduated from Hays High School in Buda, and her friend Alexandra Waldon, who will be a senior this year, waited in line for at least two hours at the Alamo Drafthouse and described the Twilight series as “a dark and forbidden romance.”

“The Twilight books are real page-turners compared to other books,” Cinsel said.

Victoria Lozada, an employee of Cinemark Tinseltown 17 in Austin, explained that the theater was in a state of disarray due to a power outage and fervent Twilight fans waiting in line for their own triple-feature showing.

“Most of the fans coming in have been girls,” Lozada said. “And we sell just as many Twilight tickets as the Harry Potter movies.”