Delphic album has futuristic feel

Six months after its U.K. release, Delphic’s debut album Acolyte has finally hit US shelves. Acolyte is a solid electro-rock dance album that is unique and accessible to the modern listener, although in the press it has constantly been compared to the influential techno-dance band of the ’80s, New Order. Sometimes dance records can fall flat after one or two songs, but Delphic‘s Acolyte is an album that you want to follow through to the end. Don’t get me wrong; there are some definite letdowns, but the album as a whole is worth checking out.

The trio, which formed in 2009, is made up of James Cook (vocals and bass), Matt Cocksedge (guitar) and Rick Boardman (synthesizers), all hailing from Manchester, England — the birthplace of bands like The Smiths, Joy Division and New Order. Although New Order’s influence may be found in Delphic’s synth-heavy music, full vocals mixed into the electronic instrumentals give the album a more poppy, futuristic feel.

Notable tracks on the album include the band’s first and second singles, “Counterpoint” and “This Momentary,” as well as “Doubt.” The passionate vocals and bubbly electronic sound of “Counterpoint” feel like a futuristic dream. The alternating fast-to-slow-to-fast vocals paired with a constant synth pulse in “This Momentary” makes the song exciting and repeatable. “Doubt” has a solid chorus that makes you want to sing along, as well as a funky intro that draws you in. The song exemplifies the spirit of the album as a whole — a consistent build-up and release.

The first disappointment of the album is the seventh track, “Submission.” The synth and instrumentals create a drama as Cook croons, “I don’t recognize myself.” It seems like a forced anthem and comes off cheesy. And, “Ephemera,” the second solely instrumental track of the album, seems to be a two-minute filler that doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the album.

Overall, Delphic’s Acolyte is an exciting album that has already caused quite a stir in the U.K. Delphic’s debut album adds quality, consistency and undeniable energy to the electro-music industry.