Summertime fare gives UT students cheap, good eats

Finding an affordable meal in the midst of the scorching-hot Texas summer is more enjoyable than it may seem.

Similar to the change in seasonal temperatures and wardrobes, with each month that passes, different vegetables and fruits ripen to perfection and are served in countless restaurants across the city. For some Longhorns, this summer was about broadening their culinary horizons beyond frozen pizza and cans of soda.

English junior Zac Carter preferred a meal that was “really cheap, really filling [and] really good — pretty much what anyone could ask for. I can spend $6 to $8 and be full on food that tastes as genuine as anything homemade.” His tastes generally favor more natural foods such as salads, vegetables and homemade sauces, but he also has a weakness for pizza.

When it came down to picking his favorite dish of the summer, however, Carter chose a falafel kabob on Seventh Street, calling it “seriously amazing.” When happy hour started, Carter said he reaches for a cosmopolitan at The Library Bar or rose lemonade from Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse.

For biology senior Shauna Saathoff, her favorite Austin restaurants this summer had one thing in common: atmosphere.

“They had to have a cool Austin-y vibe,” Saathoff said. “I love when the outdoor waiting area is really hip and they have live music.”

Saathoff said her tastes range from Mexican cuisine to anything from the grill, as long as the price tag doesn’t top $30. When it came down to picking her favorite meal of the summer, Saathoff selected a dish from a well-known Austin establishment.

“My favorite meal of the summer had to be the chicken enchiladas with avocado cream sauce from Guero’s on South Congress,” Saatoff said, adding the strawberry mojito from El Chile Café y Cantina as her favorite drink.

Journalism sophomore Sheri Alzeerah preferred food trailers over dining at a sit-down establishment. Even though Alzeerah described her favorite summer foods as “anything that will fit in a freezer,” she said the Gourdough’s doughnut trailer on South Lamar Boulevard was her favorite spot to eat. In particular, her favorite doughnuts were The Puddin’, Miss Shortcake and the Mother Clucker, which features a fried chicken strip and honey butter.

“It’s hard to narrow it down to just one in this foodie-friendly town, [but] Gourdough’s vends doughnut masterpieces,” she said.