Fall Forms of Entertainment: Books

"1Q84"
Haruki Murakami | Oct. 25

"1Q84" is already a hit in Murakami’s native Japan, where it was released in three volumes to wild success. In October, the complex, surreal tale of alternate universes, religious cults and family ties will be released in the U.S. as a single, nearly 1000-page English language volume.

"11/22/63"
Stephen King | Nov. 8

Prolific powerhouse Stephen King takes on time travel in "11/22/63". Jake Epping is a typical high school English teacher who enters a portal back in time and attempts to prevent a critical moment in American history: the assassination of John F. Kennedy. The 1000-page epic seems to be a fitting follow-up to King’s previous work, the massive "Under The Dome."

"Life Itself: A Memoir"
Roger Ebert | Sept. 13

The country’s most prominent film critic chronicles his extraordinary life, from his early days as a film critic at the Chicago Sun-Times, to his Pulitzer Prize win in 1975, to the recent devastating thyroid cancer that left him unable to speak, eat or drink. Ebert’s memoir promises to be just as captivating as the reviews America has been trusting for over 40 years.

"The Marriage Plot"
Jeffrey Eugenides | Oct. 11

It’s been eight years since the release of Jeffrey Eugenides’ Pulitzer Prize-winning novel "Middlesex" rocked the literary world. Now Eugenides returns to publish "The Marriage Plot," an examination of archetypical 19th century love stories through the eyes of three friends entering their senior year at Brown University in the 1980s.

"The Night Circus"
Erin Morgenstern | Sept. 15

With a six-figure advance from Doubleday and the film rights already sold to Summit Entertainment before the book’s release, "The Night Circus" exemplifies literary hype. The buzz is boosted all the more considering that the novel is Morgenstern’s first attempt at writing fiction. Only the release of the book, which tells of two young magicians falling in love at a mysterious circus at the turn of the 19th century, will tell if the hype is well-deserved.