Fall Forms of Entertainment: Television

American Horror Story
Premieres Oct. 5 at 9 p.m. on FX

Recovering from an affair, a psychotherapist moves with his wife and teenage kids to a new town and into an old house imbued with supernatural forces that prey on their fears. The thriller features a standout cast, including Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton. Helmed by the premier auteur of all things stylized, Ryan Murphy (who also created “Nip/Tuck” and “Glee”), the real question is whether this family is being haunted by ghosts or their own personal demons.

Enlightened
Premieres Oct. 10 at 8:30 p.m. on HBO

Laura Dern stars in this dark comedy as Amy, a health and beauty executive who suffers a very public mental breakdown. After seeking treatment for three months in Hawaii, she returns home feeling rejuvenated. But that isn’t preventing the madness of her life, including her drug-addicted son (played by Dern’s own son, Luke Wilson) from making her snap all over again. It’s the story of one woman doing everything she can to not come undone.

Hell on Wheels
Premiers Nov. 6 at 9.pm. on AMC

Set in post-Civil War America during the construction of the nation’s first transcontinental railroad, this drama centering on a Confederate soldier looking to avenge the murder of his wife by Union soldiers, looks moody and affecting. While “Deadwood” has held the distinction of being TV’s most acclaimed western, this looks to have just as much grit.

Ringer
Premieres Sept. 13 at 8 p.m. on the CW

Sarah Michelle Gellar returns to TV in a dual role: she plays twin sisters Siohban and Bridget, the former a wealthy socialite, the latter a recovering alcoholic on the run from the mob. After Siohban mysteriously disappears, Bridget assumes Siohban’s life and begins uncovering her sister’s own dark secrets.

Up All Night
Premieres Sept. 14 at 9 p.m. on NBC

Unlike the movies, the messiness of intersecting home and work lives in this comedy promise not to neatly resolve in 90 minutes. In this refreshingly frank take on parenthood, Christina Applegate and Will Arnett play a couple trying to find time for work, each other and their baby without running themselves into the ground. Watching them try looks hilarious.