Fun Fun Fun Fest returns with eclectic bands

Fun Fun Fun Fest will return this weekend with a wide range of acts that encompass hardcore punk, alternative hip-hop, electronica and dance music. The festival, which prides itself in always having an eclectic roster of performers, will feature old and new school acts. Below, our top picks of the weekend’s day performances.

OFWGKTA
Sunday at 8:45 p.m.

If Bad Brains, Sex Pistols and Wu-Tang Clan had a chance encounter with each other, OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All) would be the end result. The collective’s fearless leader Tyler, the Creator is reminiscent of Sex Pistol’s Johnny Rotten: He sneers and feeds off the fear of his opposers, unrelenting in his misogynistic lyrics and jazz-influenced production. OFWGKTA is not a one-man show: Partners in crime Hodgy Beats, Left Brain, Domo Genesis, Mike G and Syd Tha Kid all contribute to the group’s live performances in different ways. Be forewarned though, this is not your average hip-hop performance: expect stage dives, roundhouse kicks and uncontrollable chaos.

SLAYER
Sunday at 8:15 p.m.

One of the few bands that contributed to the emergence of thrash metal in the early ’80s, Slayer’s performance will be a test for the courageous. Blisteringly fast punk drums, heaving, chugging guitars and the guttural, demented vocals of Tom Araya will treat both old and new metalheads alike. Performing on Sunday (whether incidental or on purpose, we may never know) the group is renowned for their otherworldly moshpits, baptizing its participants in a lake of discordance and cacophony.

LYKKE LI
Saturday at 7:25 p.m.

Dream-pop princess Lykke Li captivates with music that is soaked in luscious synths, gushy-pop vocals and electronic dance drums. Behind Li’s fragile demeanor lies a soul tainted with heart break, seclusion and anger, feelings that are accompanied by moody, multilayered arrangements. A strange concoction of poppy weirdness, Lykke Li’s music will be a great soundtrack for these recurring cold Austin nights.

MAJOR LAZER
Saturday at 8:45 p.m.

It is about time DJs/producers Diplo and Switch realized that a collaborative effort would result in success. The dynamic duo — who are known for working with mainstream pop queens (Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera, Shakira) and their eccentric counterparts (M.I.A., Santigold, Amanda Blank) — will provide their trademark Jamaican dancehall music throughout the night. Be ready for thumping, ear-piercing snare drums and synths: It’s going to be a party.

PASSION PIT
Friday at 8:30 p.m.

Electro-pop group Passion Pit have created a following for themselves since their debut back in 2009. Frontman Michael Angelakos leads the group with his Prince-like vocal delivery, accompanied by wavy, melodic synths and dance-friendly drum beats. The group have also been working on their next release, so fans may be in for a treat when the group takes the stage on Friday.