Last-minute Valentine’s Day date ideas

Penguin+Valentines_admi
The Associated Press

African penguin Howard carries a valentine heart written by a visitor to the California Acadmey of Sciences in San Francisco, Monday.

For those that are single, Valentine’s Day will be a day of bitter resentment and devouring boxes of chocolate, but couples that do not share such sentiment do exist. Yet, with hell weeks imminent for many a student, some couples may have had difficulty planning anything for Valentine’s Day. For those, here are a few last-minute plans in Austin to celebrate the romantic day beyond a hastily signed card bought at CVS.

Art Lessons
What: Painting Lessons
WHERE: Painting with a Twist
8820 Burnet Rd., Suite 507
WHEN: 7 p.m.
For the art-inclined, Painting with a Twist will be offering casual painting lessons tonight starting at 7 p.m. and costs $35. Each lesson features a set painting and this class will be painting a tree against a maroon background. Although no pottery lessons will be offered, guests can bring their own wine and snacks and share a dinner while painting. In addition, group seating can be arranged for the double daters.

Dinner
What: Dinner Detective Austin
WHERE: Marriott Hotel at Austin
300 E. Fourth St.
WHEN: 7:15 p.m.
Of course, any of the many, many restaurants in Austin would be a good choice, but why not go for something a bit different for Valentine’s Day? The Marriott Hotel will be having a murder mystery dinner. Dinner patrons will have to solve what they call a “hilarious” murder prize. A special package allows you to choose your date to be a prime suspect, because nothing says true love than suspicion of murder. The base package at $59 includes a four-course dinner, a potential prize to be “Top Sleuth” and entertainment after the show. Mugs, T-shirts, wine and Champagne can also be added to your package at additional cost.

Drive-In Movie
What: “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” showing
WHERE: Blue Starlite
2326 E. Cesar Chavez
WHEN: 9 p.m.
Austin’s drive-in theater, Blue Starlite, will be having a special Valentine’s Day showing of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” at 9 p.m. Whether it is a nostalgic rush of high school days or simply being able to sing “Moon River” without any popcorn thrown at you, enjoying the film in the privacy of your own car with your significant other is a nice way to end the day. Blue Starlite is also offering a special Valentine’s Day package for $50, which includes gourmet popcorn, candy sweethearts, roses and soda pop.

Concert
What: Bob Schneider and The Moonlight Orchestra
WHERE: Moody Theater
310 W. Willie Nelson Blvd.
WHEN: 8:30 p.m.
Also celebrating its first anniversary, Austin City Limits Live at the Moody Theater will be having a special Valentine’s Day concert featuring Bob Schneider and The Moonlight Orchestra at 8:30 p.m. An Austin local, Schneider tailored this concert for maximum romance and will be playing classic romantic staples, taking his traditionally acoustic sound and bringing in horns, strings and upright bass. Special guests Kat Edmonson, Danny Malone and Lex Land will also be on hand. To those who want to remember the night, a kissing photo booth will available. Tickets start at $25. And for the charitable kind, a portion of the ticket will go to Health Alliance for Austin Musicians.

Making a Love Button
What: Button making
WHERE: Fine Arts Library and Life Sciences Library
WHEN: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
If you are extremely crammed for time, just plain broke and none of these ideas sound applicable, don’t fret quite yet. The Fine Arts Library and Life Sciences Library will be having button-making in their lobbies from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. today. It is a perfect pit stop between class. However, no guarantees that your significant other will at all be amused with a button that reads, “I Hearts Books and You.”

Printed on, Tuesday February 14, 2012 as: Last-minute Valentine's Day date ideas