Diverse events accommodate genre preferences

0309_MostAnt_Music_PRESS

Photo courtesy of Diplo

South By Southwest's music portion is always filled with an eclectic offering of music's biggest and up-and-coming acts. This year's SXSW is special in that it features singer-songwriter Fiona Apple and blues-rocker John Mayer making their musical return. Other announced acts include Jack White and Jay-Z as well as unexpected performances from the likes of R&B crooner The Dream and The Roots' ?uestlove. Whether you're a fan of hip-hop, rock, jazz, Americana or anything else, SXSW is more than willing to accommodate to your tastes.

Electronic Artists/DJs

Diplo
What: Turntable.fm Does SXSW 2012
When: March 15, 8 p.m.-2 a.m.
Where: 1100 E. Fifth St.
*RSVP; Badgeholders receive first priority

Commonly known for his work with M.I.A., producer Diplo has been known to throw some of the wildest parties. His DJ sets often combine moombahton, a sub-genre of dance music and Reggaeton, and an assortment of tracks from Major Lazer, his collaboration with fellow DJ Switch. Diplo, who'll be performing at the Turntable Does SXSW event on March 15.

Skrillex
What: AM Only SXSW Showcase
When: Friday March 16, 8 p.m.-2 a.m.
Where: Mohawk
*Badgeholders receive first priority; wristbands welcome

After receiving three Grammy awards last month, Skrillex is riding on an electronic wave of success, hoping to drown fans in his popular breed of dubstep. Performing at the AM Only SXSW Showcase alongside fellow DJ 12th Planet at the Mohawk, you can expect an onslaught of fist-pumping bass drops to occur. The showcase will also include Laidback Luke, Felix Cartal and AraabMUZIK.

Rock

The Shins
When: March 15, 8 p.m.
Where: Auditorium Shores Stage
*Everyone is welcome

Known for popular songs “New Slang” and “Turn On Me,” the group will be releasing their latest album, Port of Morrow, on March 20. The Shins have always been masters at creating luscious melodies, utilizing jangling acoustic guitars, keyboards and stringed instruments, to create vibrant songs narrated by talented frontman James Mercer.

Say Anything
What: Equal Visions Record Showcase
When: March 16, 12:15-5:55 p.m.
Where: Lucky 13

Alternative rock heartthrobs, known for their pop-punk melodies and energetic live performances, Say Anything remained relatively quiet last year, only announcing the name of their forthcoming album, Anarchy, My Dear, and releasing first single “Burn A Miracle.” Now, the guys will be returning to Austin to headline the Equal Visions Record Showcase along with We Came As Romans and Life On Repeat.

Maps and Atlases
What: Filter Magazine's Culture Collide
When: March 16, 1-5 p.m.
Where: Bar 96 (96 Rainey St.)
*RSVP; badgeholders welcome

Rock ensemble Maps and Atlases were first catapulted into the spotlight by their technical guitar parts and complex time signature. Since the group's latest release, Perch Patchwork, the band seems to have departed from their older sound, but in return, have come up with something refreshing. In support of their forthcoming album, Beware and Be Grateful, the group will be performing plenty of shows, including a weekend performance at Filter Magazine's Culture Collide event.