How to dress for ACL

2012_10_09_ACL_Satellite_Shop_FannyTrang1267
Fanny Trang

The ACL Satellite Shop, situated at 210 Guadalupe street by the ACL bus shuttle, sells commemorative T-shirts and posters as well as other souvenirs until Monday Oct. 15, 2012. For the first time, the Austin City Limits festival opened a shop to sell festival related items before and after the event.

What do you wear to a three-day outdoor festival where one minute you’ll be softly swaying to The Shins and the next you’re screaming “Community” quotes at Childish Gambino?

Stacey Rodrigues of C3 Entertainment has an answer: “With the festival in mid-October, it’s smart to bring a lightweight layering piece for cool nights.”

The Satellite Shop is ACL’s premiere souvenir store on 210 Guadalupe Street.

The first ACL Festival Satellite Shop was created as a way to make it easier for fans to buy souvenirs, whether they have tickets to the festival or not. The store does more than just sell ACL souvenirs, though, since they also showcase local Second Street vendors, Rodrigues said. Mannequins have been styled with festival-ready fashions.

Satellite Shop manager Katie Woodruff has seen trends develop since its opening Oct. 6.

“There are so many choices. It’s hard to say which one will end up being the crowd favorite. So far the commemorative T-shirt, a perennial favorite, has been the best-seller,” Woodruff said. “A close second is the Armadillo tee.”

Although many will be wearing the festival T-shirt, fashion at ACL has evolved from schlepping through Texas summer heat in shorts and flip-flops to maybe needing a couple of light layers in the mid-October weather.

“The ACL Festival crowd is diverse, and the fashions reflect that. You can see everything from vintage to trendy and everything in between. With the cooler weather, I’m sure we’ll see a lot more cool outerwear and boots,” Rodrigues said.

Teresa Cantu, a sales specialist at Neiman Marcus and avid festival-goer, sees ACL as not only a music event but a fashion event as well.

“I do think that the festival has become more common grounds for innovative styles from all over,” Cantu said. “I have seen an influx of independent designers that vend at music festivals who provide festival gear made from recycled materials. I like to support local designers and have found my wardrobe changing from my frequent purchases.”

When going to the festival, there are some easy fashion-related decisions to be made. Seven-inch Jeffrey Campbell Lita boots? Not unless you’re on the arm of Anthony Kiedis backstage. Sunglasses and a chic crossbody bag? Yes. Protect your eyes and stash your stuff so you can dance hands-free.

“You would find me in my favorite L.A.-based designer, Kucoon, head to nearly toe. Kucoon is the perfect festival wardrobe, as all the designs Andrea Spratt creates are sexy, comfortable, easy to dance in and
very fashion-forward,” Cantu said. “I would wear her notable lace pants and a hot, futuristic leather cropped jacket I have, along with her unisex-worth fringe hoods.”

No matter how someone shows their fashion sense at ACL, they’ll be surrounded by people who love good live music.

“You will see baby boomer hippies wearing a tie-dyed tee at the same stage as the 20-year-old hipster wearing a mustache and tiny tank top,” Woodruff said. “Austinites may differ in fashion choices, but they can agree that ACL is a great place to hear wonderful music.”