Beyonce’s Super Bowl show features hair flips, body suits, and a Destiny’s Child comeback

Beyonce
The Associated Press

Beyonce performs during the halftime show of the NFL Super Bowl XLVII football game between the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, in New Orleans.

The New Orleans Superdome was not ready for Beyonce’s jelly. Literally, the power went out. And the Ravens and 49ers should have taken it as a sign. Nothing, even winning the Super Bowl, could top Beyonce’s performance last night.

Super Bowl XLVII, to forever be known as the Beyonce Bowl, could very easily go down as the greatest half-time show in history.  

Half-time history is pretty bleak. There are many more infamous performances than well-regarded ones. And after several years of various rock and roll grandpas making appearances, news of Beyonce performing  was welcomed with much excitement. I mean if anyone can do half-time right, it’s Beyonce. 

And boy did she do it right. I had chills from the moment her super-sized silhouette was surrounded with flames. 

Beyonce began with “Crazy in Love” and included “End of Time” and “Baby Boy.” She donned a leather body suit that the New York Times reported was made with strips of python and iguana. 

There was no shortage of fire or digitally reproduced Beyonces, which fulfilled all my dreams of multiple Beyonces existing on earth, thus increasing my chances of meeting her. 

If you didn’t get emotional when Kelly and Michelle jumped on stage, then you must not remember how divine the trio was emerging from the ocean in the “Survivor” video. The reunited Destiny’s Child sang “Bootylicious,” “Independent Women” and “Single Ladies.” Beyonce to close the show solo with “Halo.”  

The stakes were high for Beyonce. She is the closest we have to royalty here in America, our own Kate Middleton. And with the lip-syncing drama surrounding her performance at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, skeptics couldn’t help but wonder, would she or wouldn’t she? 

Beyonce answered the question during the Super Bowl press conference. “I am well-rehearsed,” she said. “This is what I was born to do.” As far as I could tell, there was not a lip-synced moment during Queen B’s show. 

I am anxiously awaiting BuzzFeed’s collection of “Best of Beyonce’s Half-Time Faces” or “Greatest Hair Flips during Super Bowl XLVII,” because there were many. When Beyonce thanked the crowd, all I could think was we should be thanking her. 

This half-time show is just the beginning of what seems, so far, to be the year of Beyonce. Her self-directed documentary will appear on HBO on Feb. 16. The singer has also confirmed a new solo album to be released later this year.

If this Super Bowl performance is any clue as to what we can expect for the rest of 2013, it will be a year of fabulous hair flips, leather body suits and pop music perfection.

Published on February 4, 2013 as "Beyonce wows crowd before electric outage".