How to do SXSW for free: Thursday

DoubleTruckPhoto1

Chaz Bundick, of Toro y Moi (Photo courtesy of Car Park Records).

1. Texas Is Funny // Flannel Girl Records SXSW Label Showcase at Wardenclyffe, 3 p.m.-12:15 a.m.

The Flannel Girl Records showcase at this year’s SXSW does not necessarily boast any bands worth seeing, but to make up for what is lacking in the lineup, they’re offering free Lonestars, PBRs and tequila for the over 21 crowd. Don’t worry, minors, free Freebirds will also be supplied.

2. The Pitchfork Day Party at 1100 Warehouse, 12 p.m.-6 p.m.

Pitchfork’s day party lineup is so good it’s actually a problem. The 1100 Warehouse is suited up with both an indoor and an outdoor stage, and the sets will have audience members running back and forth all afternoon. Dream-pop group Youth Lagoon and synth-pop group Toro Y Moi will be fighting for audience members as they simultaneously play songs from their new albums on both stages.

3. Waterloo Records SXSW 2013 Day Party at Waterloo Records parking lot, 12 p.m.-6 p.m.

The second day of the Waterloo Records Day Parties boasts another lineup of impressive groups like alternative-rock band The Joy Formidable. If you want a trip back to your freshman year of high school, consider stopping by for The Airborne Toxic Event’s set.

4. American Rag Presents Filter Magazine’s Showdown at Cedar Street at Cedar Street Courtyard, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.

Filter Magazine is busy this SXSW hosting a myriad of RSVP only, 21 and up shows with preference given to badge holders. The lineups, however, are not to be topped and it’s definitely worth a shot to try and make it inside to catch indie-rock group Local Natives’ set.

5. Filter and Dr. Martens Present Rainey 2013 SXSW Showcase at Bar 96, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.

Filter Magazine’s SXSW sets are all well stacked, and this show is no exception. Once again, an RSVP is required. We recommend stopping by in time to see indie-rock group Surfer Blood.