Sexy Sally: Masturbation

AddThis

Sexy Sally runs every Tuesday evening in Life & Arts. 

Photo Credit: Daily Texan Comics | Daily Texan Staff

As the daughter of a sexually liberal mother, I was told that I needed to bring a vibrator to college. I lost my v-card about halfway through high school, so sexual pleasure wasn’t anything new to me. But there was something that made me inexplicably uncomfortable with the idea of achieving the big O all by myself. I guess it’s because I’ve always associated sex and pleasure with feeling desired by a man (or a girl according to my flexuality test). 

I spent the majority of my freshman year celibate, which pretty much sucked. As I made my adjustment to college life, I didn’t make dating or meeting guys a priority. Let’s just say that by the time winter break came around, I was really wishing I had that vibrator my mom had suggested I buy.

Luckily, at the beginning of the next semester, I found a good friend who was down to do the nasty whenever and wherever I wanted. Since then I’ve had pretty consistent sex and haven’t felt the need to masturbate on my own. 

While masturbation still makes me a little uncomfortable, I recently discovered the magical experience of touching yourself during sex. In the midst of a semi-public hookup, Ryan* gently guided my hand down to my vagina. I initially felt a little awkward about this situation, but this guy had given me the best sex of my life on a number of occasions. So I trusted him and explored the region that often makes me feel a little weird when I’m by myself.

It was a very good decision. It was double the fun, double the pleasure, double the orgasm. 

While I still don’t feel the need to masturbate in my own time, I certainly understand the appeal. I just like feeling pleasured by another person. I like to share the passion and experience the desire together. It’s certainly a much more rewarding affair for me.