Austin chefs create art inspired culinary bites

2013-10-10_art_eats_chef_helen
Helen Fernandez

This Thursday evening is the only time posting photos of food to Instagram is acceptable. 

In a marriage of art and Austin’s culinary scene, 10 top local chefs are recreating masterpieces by famous artists including Marc Chagall and Matt Devine for Art Bites, “An Evening of Art Inspired Culinary Creations.” The participating chefs use their own talent and artistry to create their best interpreations of 10 original art pieces. 

The 10 pieces of art featured in the show were carefully curated by Lisa Russell, gallery owner of Russel Collection Fine Art, who said she wanted to create an event that would spark some interest and bring the food and art communities together. 

“[The chefs] will be talking about what inspires them about the art they are interpreting,” Russell said.

Uchi chef de cuisine Jeramie Robison has been paired with Matt Devine, whose work is a piece of wall art, originally created with twisted steel and
red paint.

“Devine’s work is a challenging piece of art,” Robison said. “It’s very simplistic and the first thing that came to mind for interpreting this dish was saffron. However, the core ingredient I’m thinking of using is Korean chili threads.”

Josh Watkins, executive chef at The Carillon, is working on a piece based on a Marc Chagall painting of man, woman and goat in a garden. 

Watkins said that the core ingredient for his dish would be a combination of a lot of different items one can find in the garden including radishes and peas. He also plans to use goat’s milk and panna cotta.

“I’ve seen his work in several museums, up close and personal, and have been completely blown away. He’s one of those artists who have the amazing ability to intrigue you,” Watkins said. “Chagall, for me, forces you to think, which is what good art should do. It forces you to, not only use what you see, but use what you think in a way that’s interpretive in your
own mind.” 

For Robison, food and art are always in perfect harmony with each other.

“Uchi’s food is simplistic,” Robison said. “We put a lot of care into making a dish visually appealing and satisfying the palate. The intention is to create a very refined, yet simplistic plate of food.”