Brown confirms resignation of three UT coaches

Head coach Mack Brown put an end to speculation Monday with an e-mailed statement announcing the resignation of embattled offensive coordinator Greg Davis and two other Texas coaches.

Davis came to Texas with Brown in 1998 and was part of the school’s record nine consecutive 10-win seasons from 2001 to 2009. He drew criticism this year for running an offense that finished No. 59 in the country in total yardage, good enough for a spot between Central Florida and Duke. Texas went 5-7, its only losing season under Brown and first since 1997, and will not appear in the postseason.

Offensive line coach Mac McWhorter and defensive line coach Mike Tolleson also announced their retirements from coaching.

McWhorter produced five current NFL players and two collegiate All-Americans during his nine years in Austin. Tolleson coached current pros Lamarr Houston and Roy Miller, plus four others, in his 13 years at Texas.

“They are not only great coaches but men who handled themselves with tremendous integrity, class and dignity on and off the field during their time here,” Brown said. “I want to say, ‘Thank you,’ and wish them well, because they will be missed.”

The outgoing coaches have experienced the highest of highs and lowest of lows while at Texas, from the BCS National Championship in 2005 to this year’s seven-loss season.

Davis was especially successful, as he led some of the most prolific offenses in school history. In 2005, the Texas offense scored a then-record 652 points in a single season, and he was given the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach.

Davis also served as quarterbacks coach, where he presided over two runners-up for the Heisman Trophy — Vince Young in 2005 and Colt McCoy last year. He was coordinator when Ricky Williams won the award in 1998.

“It’s been a pleasure working with not only all of the great quarterbacks I’ve been fortunate enough to coach but all of the terrific young men on both sides of the ball,” Davis said. “I will miss all of the players, coaches and staff, but I will always have great memories of the success the players and the teams I was part of were able to achieve.”

Davis’ resignation does not take effect until Aug. 31, 2011, but Brown said the search for a replacement would begin immediately.

McWhorter, who has coached football for 37 years, is thankful for all of the memories he has had at Texas.

“I feel blessed to have worked with some of the best coaches and men in the profession,” McWhorter said. “Lastly, I have a deep love and appreciation for the players that I have coached and been associated with at Texas. They are a special group.”

Tolleson has been responsible for putting together and maintaining a rush defense that was ranked in the top six from 2006 to 2009, when the Longhorns allowed the fewest rushing yards in the nation.

“It’s been the ultimate for me as a football coach to be at a place like the University of Texas,” Tolleson said.