Runoff election

Two executive alliances will hoist their wooden signs for the last time on the West Mall today after three weeks of vigorous campaigning for the top Student Government spots. Students can vote in the runoff election until 5 p.m. today at utsg.org. In last week’s general election, the Natalie Butler and Ashley Baker presidential and vice-presidential campaign received 48.6 percent of 8,036 total votes, while the Abel Mulugheta and Sameer Desai executive alliance received 34.7 percent. The two teams earned far more votes than three others but had to go into a runoff election because neither earned more than 50 percent of the vote. Business sophomore Pranitha Patil said the Butler and Baker campaign stationed people at the West Mall from 7:45 am to 5 p.m. every day since the runoff was announced last Thursday and is sticking with the methods they used during the general campaigning period. “We’re doing the same strategies because they worked last week,” Patil said. “We’re just double-timing our efforts.” Desai said his campaign has wished students a great day and high-fived them, rather than asking them to vote. “People get sick of ‘vote now, vote now’ after two, three weeks, so we tried to create innovative ideas,” he said.