South Austin construction to increase road congestion

Riverside Drive undergoes work to improve downtown sewer

Riverside Drive west of South First Street is undergoing a lane reduction and construction project as part of the work being done for the Downtown Wastewater Tunnel, which will run beneath the road to provide sewer services for downtown, according to an Austin press release.

“The wastewater lines are at capacity right now. So for any further development downtown, including new residences, they are going to have to increase the wastewater lines downtown,” said Michelle Frith, spokeswoman for the project.

The project began Sunday and will reduce traffic in the eastbound direction of Riverside Drive to a single lane, with two lanes open in the westbound direction during the construction.

The city is urging drivers to use Barton Springs Road or Cesar Chavez Street as alternate routes if possible or to plan for traffic delays.

The project is expected to last 90 days until the beginning of September.

City to install back-in parking along stretch of South Congress

South Congress Avenue lane closures began Saturday as part of a street improvement project that will make the area more pedestrian-friendly, said project manager Mark Schruben.

Changes to the street will include back-in angle parking, improved bike lanes, 90 additional parking spaces and handicapped parking spaces. The project will cause traffic delays until at least mid-July.

Schruben said the new back-in angle parking, which is similar to the parking setup on parts of Dean Keeton Street, will make parking on the street much safer.

“It’s actually easier and faster, and then when you get out you can see everything and it’s safer,”
Schruben said.

In the first phase of the project, lane closures will affect the area south of Annie Street to Oltorf, then gradually move farther north in stages until the project is completed.

At least one lane will be open in each direction at all times, taking into consideration traffic patterns, Schruben said.
On-street parking will be prohibited, Schruben said.

Drivers are cautioned to consider taking an alternate route if possible, or to expect delays.

In the fall, the city will add concrete sidewalk curb extensions and widen the sidewalk at the crosswalk to make it aesthetically pleasing and pedestrian friendly.

“There are a lot of goals that the overall project is trying to achieve,” Schruben said.

The project’s completion date was initially set for July 15, but the project’s original start date of June 1 was delayed by four days.