Prominent med school professor fills new position of regional dean

There are college deans and as of Thursday there is a regional dean.

Dr. Susan Cox, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, was appointed as the school’s first regional dean. Administrators hope the new position will strengthen the link between UT Southwestern and Seton Healthcare Family hospitals in the Austin area.

The partnership was created in 2009 with an agreement to increase the number of residents who practice at Seton hospitals and to support medical research and collaboration between the school and the hospitals.

All residency programs at Seton tie back to an academic department at UT Southwestern, said UT Southwestern spokesman Tim Doke.

“The program we initiated with Seton where we took responsibility for residency programs was our first regional endeavor,” Doke said. “Our focus is medical education and opportunities for central Texas programs and requires appointment of regional dean.”

Cox had worked with Seton in her last role at UT Southwestern as associate dean for graduate medical education. She was a natural choice due to her close ties with people in the Seton organization, Doke said.

Cox is a former president of the Texas Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and member of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine.

Ben Eckert, manager of Medical Education Programs at UT Southwestern, said a search committee for the regional dean position selected Cox based on her expertise and understanding of how to develop the program in Central Texas.

“Her sense of commitment to excellence in medical education sets her apart from others,” Eckert said.