Tower to get 3-D treatment for Longhorn Network commercials

A production company will cast 3-D lights on the UT tower Tuesday and Wednesday nights, then film the results for a series of University service messages set to debut Aug. 26.

The Longhorn Network, a new partnership between UT and ESPN, is funding the project and will broadcast five different 30-second clips that celebrate students and alumni.

UT spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon said the clips will run on the network and provide exposure for many elements of UT, not just athletics.

“It helps us elevate the University’s education and shares the University’s story about its people and its programs,” Weldon said. “Any time we change the light on the tower it causes attention with our campus community and the city of Austin.”

Producers set up equipment and tested key projections Tuesday night. On Wednesday morning, they plan to film the three-minute video loops that will feature angles from the south and east sides of the tower.

“[The service messages] invite students to create their own future and challenge them to surpass the achievements of our most accomplished alumni,” said Cynthia G. Posey, communications coordinator for University Operations.

Both the lights and the clock of the tower will cease operation for the filming at 10:10 p.m. on Aug. 2 and resume normal operations Aug. 4, according to the University website.