Executive vice chancellor for academic affairs resigns

The UT System executive vice chancellor for academic affairs resigned Wednesday.

Geosciences professor David Prior has held the position since June 2007 and has been asked to remain in the position until the System finds a successor, according to a press release. The executive vice chancellor for academic affairs oversees academic programs and facilities construction for each of the nine UT institutions.

UT System chancellor Francisco Cigarroa said in a press release that Prior developed the community college partnership initiative, which allowed UT-Brownsville to develop a free standing four-year institution and the Regents’ outstanding teaching awards.

“David’s capacity for understanding our complex system and dedication set a high standard and serves as an example for others to follow,” Cigarroa said in the press release.

Prior said in the press release, that his focus has been education and research goals in UT institutions.

“The nine academic institutions – each led by remarkable presidents – are making significant strides in their respective missions to serve the students of Texas, and I am confident those successes will continue well into the future,” Prior said in the press release.