Photog makes office home

The most significant end of my college career is the end of my time at The Daily Texan. I learned more working for the Texan than I did in any class at UT. My best friends worked here, and I can’t even begin to think about where I would be without the experience I gained from working at the best college newspaper in the country.

I knew I wanted to study photojournalism before I came to UT, but what I didn’t know was that I needed to do that at the Texan. I learned a lot about patience, dealing with other people and making the best out of bad photo assignments that read, “I don’t know what this is about.” I frequently spent more time in the photo office than I did studying for exams or working on projects, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. The office was my home on campus, and I took that a bit too literally sometimes.

I don’t know if there are other organizations on campus that can possibly measure up to the Texan. I was able to do exactly what I wanted to do out of school while I was in it, and I was free to mess up and try again (and I did). The Texan has a long-standing reputation, and I am proud to have been even a small part of that.

I’m going to miss the bad moods everyone put me in, skipping class to take pictures of some guy standing on a stage under terrible lights, Thomas’s terrible song choices, Andrew’s toothpicks, Ryan and Lawrence’s brains, Danielle’s loud mouth, Mary’s extended laughs, watching Shannon lose her mind and everyone’s faces. But most of all, I will miss taking photos for The Daily Texan.

Printed on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 as: The Daily Texan not just office for staff photographer