Pedestrian killed in car wreck on Guadalupe

2012-02-20_Car_Crash_LawerencePeart0044
Lawrence Peart

Officers stand before the wreckage of the car accident that took place on Sunday evening at 30th and Guadalupe Street.

A man has died and a woman was critically injured after being hit by a car while standing outside the Wheatsville Food Co-op on 30th and Guadalupe streets at around 7 p.m. on Sunday.

Austin Police Department spokesman Kevin Leverenz said the driver of the car was traveling southbound on Guadalupe Street before crossing into the north lane and hitting two pedestrians, and continued to travel approximately 100 yards to hit a sign for Four Sons’ Quality Cleaners.

The man and woman were taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge, where the woman is now in stable condition.

Economics sophomore Tommy Cao said he was stopped at a red light on 30th Street and saw the accident unfold. Cao said he was on his way to a meeting when he saw a car approximately 20 feet away from him drive up at what he says was a speed of about 60 mph, get on to the sidewalk and run into the Four Sons’ Quality Cleaners sign. Cao said the car’s front side was already smashed when he saw it driving by and saw the driver unconscious in the front seat after the incident.

Cao said he saw a lot of people rush out of the way of the car but he did not see anyone get hit.

The accident caused all lanes from 30th to 31st streets to be closed. Leverenz said police are not disclosing whether the driver was male or female, but that the driver is still alive. He said it is currently under investigation whether the accident was the cause of drunk driving or other forms of intoxication. Police at the scene said the site will be treated as a crime scene until proven otherwise and that roads should be open by morning.

Printed on Monday, February 20, 2012 as: Man killed in car wreck