UT Scholars event hosts prospective students

2012-04-06_Assignment__Rebecca_Howeth03397
Rebecca Howeth

Claire Battafarano shares a laugh with high school students during a tour for the UT Scholars- high school students who have been offered scholarships from the university. The two-day tour event is hosted by UT in order to help the students decide whether or not to come to the Forty Acres.

Prospective freshmen from all over Texas came to campus yesterday to embark on a two-day UT experience administrators hope will confirm their decision to attend the University in the fall.

The Office of Admissions hosted UT Scholars, a two-day event brought about to recognize admitted students who have received scholarships from the University.

The event educates prospective students on what UT has to offer as a university, as participants took dormitory tours, stadium tours, dined on campus, took part in a scavenger hunt and attended UT student group performances on Thursday afternoon and into the evening. The second portion of UT Scholars will take place until 4 p.m. today and includes sessions with college advisers and student services staff.

Deputy director of admissions Augustine Garza said the goal of the event is to bring students who have received scholarships to the University one last time before they have to make a decision.

“Generally speaking, we just are trying to get them to satisfy the enrollment deposit,” Garza said. “We see that a majority do [pay their enrollment deposit] after the event, but even then we see some of the students change their minds because a lot happens between now and September.”

Garza said the students meet with various representatives on campus to help in their decisions.

“We want them to choose us, we want them to get all of their questions out there and get all the info they need so they can make their decision,” Garza said. “But we do realize they have options at the end of the day.”

JJ Elias, a prospective incoming aerospace engineering major, said he hopes this event will provide him with more information about the University and he hopes he will meet other people that will be coming in the fall.

“I hope to learn the basic information on prices and see what dorms I have the opportunity to live in,” Elias said.

Adrian Ruiz, a prospective incoming philosophy major, said he came to the event because he wanted as many opportunities to see the campus as possible before the fall. Ruiz said he also hopes to receive more information about the University than he did during previous visits, and in particular learn about the College of Liberal Arts and financial aid.

Pre-nursing sophomore Micael Cano volunteered at the event and said he hopes he can provide students with the best information possible.

“I’m hoping students learn that UT is a great university as far as the learning environment, diversity, resources, support, and opportunities that it offers,” Cano said.

Printed on Friday, April 6, 2012 as: UT administrators welcome scholarship recipients to 40 acres