Hall of Fame inducts Austin rocker

The Associated Press

Ian McLagan, right, holds up his trophy after he and Ron Wood, left, and Kenney Jones, background, were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as members of the Small Faces/Faces Saturday, April 14, 2012, in Cleveland.

Austin became a little bit more rock and roll last weekend when rocker Ian McLagan became the first Austinite to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The 27th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony took place on April 14. The city of Austin and Austin mayor Lee Leffingwell honored McLagan for all of his achievements at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on April 12 before McLagan took off for the Hall of Fame ceremony in Cincinnati. KUT-FM on-air music host Jody Denberg presented McLagan with a proclamation from Leffingwell, which declared April 12 “Ian McLagan Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Day.” McLagen moved to Austin in 1994.

“McLagan’s music defines Austin’s music scene and his induction into the Hall of Fame is a great achievement not only for McLagan, but also for the city of Austin,” Lucky Lounge managing partner Johnny Alvarez said.

Alvarez said McLagan has been performing at Lucky Lounge almost every Thursday night for the past six years. McLagan found out about his induction to Hall of Fame in January and was officialy inducted last Saturday, said Denberg.

“He fills up stadiums all over the world and decides to live in Austin and perform locally,” Alvarez said. “That’s really cool for Austin.”

McLagan played in two bands in the ‘60s and ‘70s, The Small Faces and The Faces. The Small Faces was founded in 1965 and was eventually reborn into The Faces in the ‘70s with an exciting, innovative rock and roll sound, according to the press release.

McLagan plays pure rock and roll, developed from the original rockers such as Jerry Lee Lewis. He also branches out in his solo albums into a more singer/songwriter style of music, said Denberg.

Denberg said McLagan’s most prominent songs in the past have been “Miss You” and “Just My Imagination” by the Rolling Stones, in which McLagan played keyboard.

McLagan has recorded with John Mayer, Bonnie Raitt, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Taj Mahal, Denberg said.

“I think it’s great that Austin has acknowledged his achievements, which are not only local, but also international,” Denberg said. “I know it means a lot to McLagan’s heart to be recognized on a local level in his hometown before the big Hall of Fame event.”

According to McLagan’s press agent, McLagan said he loves living in Austin and appreciates being surrounded by all the musicians here.