Top ten study spots to scout before classes

2012-08-02_study_spots_nathan
Nathan Goldsmith

Patrons at Bennu study, work and relax Thursday afternoon. The coffee house features a wide variety of coffees and teas, as well as free wireless internet access.

It can be hard to study in one place. Considering studying is a big part of the college experience, moving to a new place every once in a while may help keep your eyes open for a longer period.

1. Life Science Library. Located in the Main Building on the second floor, many refer to it as the “Harry Potter” library because of its intricate ceiling designs. Come here for a robust room with high ceilings that won’t make you feel cramped while you cram.

2. Bennu Coffee. It can be hard to find a good 24-hour coffee shop to help you through an all-nighter. Located across Interstate Highway 35 at 2001 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, it has a wide variety of food, including pizza, salads and tacos.

3. Walter Geology Library. Go to the Jackson Geological Sciences Building and take the elevator up two floors to find this spot. Just don’t go there if you’re in the quiet-study mood: the librarians warn it can sometimes be a little loud.

4. Lawn behind Anna Hiss Gym. A large lawn complete with shade and benches sits right behind Anna Hiss Gym. It has the historic look of the old university architecture and puts you in a cultured mind-set to give you new ideas for that paper.

5. The Student Activity Center’s top floor. What makes this study spot great is its proximity to the building’s food court. With its pillows and beautiful second-story view, more than a few students have been known to take a much-needed nap.

6. The Texas Union. While it might be hard to stay in one spot, the Union provides all studying necessities. Also, if you’re hungry or need a shot of caffeine, there is a Starbucks and a Wendy’s in the building, among other restaurants.

7. Jester Residence Hall’s Second Floor. This place provides many different areas to study. The hallway has plenty of desks and the Gallery of Texas Cultures give you table space for group projects and a piano. If you’re lucky, you may walk in on someone playing an age-old melody.

8. San Jacinto Lounge. Located in the San Jacinto Residence Hall, this lounge is about as classy as you can get. Leather chairs and a nice baby grand piano make for one of the sharpest study spots on campus.

9. Starbucks. While not unique to Austin, the Starbucks on 24th and 38th streets are perfect spots for anyone wanting to sip a nice Peppermint Mocha or your drink of choice while studying for a test.

10. University Teaching Center. What the UTC lacks in interior design, it makes up for in silence. It has comfy chairs and is sure to be deserted after 5 p.m., so don’t forget this place for an out-of the-norm study spot.