Ex-candidate quits Mexico’s main leftist party

web_Mexico+Elections_admi
The Associated Press

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, presidential candidate for the Democratic Revolution Party (PRD), speaks during a news conference in Mexico City, Friday.

MEXICO CITY — The man who led Mexico’s main leftist party in the past two presidential elections announced Sunday he is leaving it behind and may start a new party, throwing uncertainty over the future of the nation’s political left.

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador told supporters at a rally at Mexico City’s main plaza that he is leaving the Democratic Revolution Party “on the best of terms.” He also announced he is leaving the smaller Labor Party and Citizens’ Movement, which also backed him in the July presidential election, when he finished second.

Lopez Obrador said he will begin consultations that would create a new party out of another, less formal organization that backed him, the Movement for National Regeneration.

The motives for the break were not clear, but it could complicate efforts for the left to rally again around a single candidate as it has in every election since 1988.

Lopez Obrador has been the most prominent figure within Democratic Revolution in recent years, one of only two people it has ever run for the presidency since forming in the wake of the fraud-tainted 1988 election.

Still, he has not been able to dominate the structure of the party, which has suffered through bitter internal feuds, many of which Lopez Obrador’s faction has lost.

Lopez Obrador, who turns 59 in November, was one of many political figures who abandoned the ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party in 1988 to support the candidacy of Cuauhtemoc Cardenas. That alliance of populist insurgents from ruling party with a collection of small socialist parties led to the formation of Democratic Revolution.

Lopez Obrador was a popular Mexico City mayor before seeking the presidency in 2006. He lost that election by less than 1 percentage point and his supporters then staged months of disruptive street protests, alleging fraud.

This year he finished about 7 points back. While his supporters again have alleged election irregularities, the protests have been more subdued.