Hook the Vote motivates voting registration with rally

With Tuesday marking the last day students can register to vote for the Nov. 6 elections, Hook the Vote is having one last campus-wide voter registration drive.

Hook the Vote, a Student Government agency dedicated to registering students for elections, will have registration tables throughout campus from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Starting at 8 p.m., Hook the Vote will host a voter registration rally at Gregory Plaza.

“The idea is to have tables wherever students will go during the day,” Bill Calve, Hook the Vote president, said.

Calve said there will be tables on the West Mall, inside and outside of Jester, in front of Gregory and in front of the Co-op on the Drag. At the rally, Hook the Vote volunteers will continue to register students until midnight.

Calve said there will be speakers at the event, who will talk about the importance of civic engagement. Feature speakers include the vice president of Student Affairs Gage Paine and Sen. Kirk Watson, D-Austin.

“Voting, even though it is something you hear about all the time, is something that really matters in our everyday lives,” Calve said.

The voter registration rally at Gregory Plaza will also have free food and entertainment for students.

After registering students, Hook the Vote will also work to inform students about issues in the election. Calve said Hook the Vote will host a debate between College Republicans and University Democrats at 8 p.m. Oct. 24.

Printed on Tuesday, October 9, 2012 as: SG motivates voting registration