Driver hits two, officer shoots at vehicle

An Austin police officer shot at the vehicle of a 24-year-old woman Saturday morning after police say she sped down East Sixth Street hitting two pedestrians and refusing to obey a police order to stop her vehicle.

Craig Smith, Austin Police Department public information officer, said around 2:20 a.m. Saturday morning, a 24-year-old female returned to her gray Pontiac parked on the 200 block of East Sixth Street. The street had been blocked off from traffic after the woman had parked there, and she began to drive very quickly, hitting two pedestrians in her way. The street was filled with pedestrians at the time.

Smith said an officer on-foot whom the woman was driving toward ordered her to stop her vehicle, but she continued driving toward him.

“The officer feared for his own safety and that of others, and he fired several shots at her windshield,” Smith said.

Smith said the driver was not injured, and she was then apprehended and charged with at least one count of aggravated assault, a felony. She is currently in custody, and her name has not been released.

The two pedestrians who were hit were taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge with non-life-threatening injuries. Their names have not been released either.