Littlefield saves the most sparks in energy contest

After a 21-day energy conservation contest, UT’s Honors Quad saved more than 115 kilowatt-hours of energy.

The Quad Energy Challenge, a contest that started Oct. 1, was held between the Littlefield, Andrews, Blanton and Carothers residence halls. Littlefield saved 22.8 kilowatt-hours of energy, Andrews saved 16.5 kilowatt-hours of energy, Blanton saved 61.1 kilowatt-hours of energy and Carothers saved 15.2 kilowatt-hours of energy.

The winner was determined by the overall percentage of energy saved. Energy use in each building was monitored in the days before the competition began, which enabled the residence halls to determine who was most effective in reducing energy use. Littlefield saved the most energy, with an 8.2 percent reduction in overall energy use.

The floor in each building that saved the most energy won $500 for a social event.

The winners were Littlefield’s first floor, Andrews’ second, Blanton’s third and Carothers’ basement.

Littlefield resident DeAnne Lee, a linguistics freshman, said she reminded fellow residents to be conscious of their energy use during the competition.

“Personally, I would rage at people who were using the hand dryers in the bathroom,” Lee said. “Do you know that meme face ­— that really, really ugly ‘NO’ face? That was me, every time I saw someone leave the laundry room light on. I thought, ‘I will end you.’”

Not all students participated in the competition. Andrews resident Kate Oh, a Plan II and journalism freshman, said she did not change her habits for the competition because she did not see the point.

“I never used that much energy to begin with, and I have energy-saving habits,” Oh said. “I turn off the lights when I leave the room and I don’t plug in unnecessary electronic devices.”

Andrews Residence Hall had the least amount of energy savings, with a 3.1 percent reduction.

Michelle Camp, the environmental science senior who headed the project, said she considers the challenge a success.

“We measured significant savings in energy usage and witnessed the participation and enthusiasm of the residents involved in the challenge,” Camp said. “Through participation such as the communication of energy-saving tips, residents demonstrated their heightened awareness of energy consumption and increased knowledge about energy conservation.”

Last year Camp submitted the proposal to the Green Fee Committee, a group that awards funds to various environmental projects across campus. The committee awarded Camp $23,230 for her project.

— Additional reporting by Jordan Rudner

Printed on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 as: Honors Quad unplugs energy-saving contest