APD arrests man accused of pointing gun at car in traffic

Austin police charged Anthony Almaguer, 24, with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second degree felony, after they say he pointed a gun at the driver of another vehicle while the two cars were stopped at Guadalupe Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

According to an arrest affidavit for Almaguer issued Friday, the Austin Police Department received a call around 3:51 p.m. from a man saying he and his wife had been threatened with a gun by a man in another car. Michael Hernandez, the alleged victim, gave police the vehicle’s license plate number. The Austin police soon located and arrested the driver, Almaguer, at the 1000 block of West 24th Street.

According to the affidavit, the caller told police he was driving southbound on Guadalupe Street when Almaguer “zoomed” past them yelling obscenities in the adjacent lane. While stopped at a traffic light, the caller said he heard yelling and heard his wife yell, “Gun!” He said he looked over to see Almaguer pointing a black handgun at him. 

According to the affidavit, Hernandez said Almaguer was yelling, “You want some problems. … I got you. … You want some problems?” Police recovered a black handgun during Almaguer’s arrest.

Almaguer was released from the Travis County Jail on $20,000 bond.

A second degree felony comes with a prison term of two to 20 years and a possible fine of up to $10,000.