Beverly Kearney was up for pay raise before she faced suspension

Beverly Kearney, a University track coach who was placed on paid leave Nov. 11, was the discussion of a pay raise shortly before her suspension, according to documents released by the University on Friday.

According to an Associated Press article, women’s athletics director Chris Plonsky wrote to University president William Powers Jr. on Sept. 24 requesting a pay raise for Kearney.

Kearney was placed on paid administrative leave Nov. 11 for reasons not disclosed by the University. She is described on Texas Sports as “one of the most successful and decorated coaches across all of collegiate athletics.”

According to an email sent by the Department of Athletics earlier this month, “The University of Texas is reviewing issues pertaining to its women’s track and field program. Until this process is completed, head coach Beverly Kearney will be on paid administrative leave.”

Kearney, 54, became head coach of the women’s track and field, and cross country teams in 1993. Since then, the Longhorns have won six national championships and 20 league titles. In 2007 she became the sixth Longhorn to enter the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Hall of Fame. She has been honored with five National Coach of the Year awards, nine District Coach of the Year awards and 16 Conference Coach of the Year awards. 

Printed on Monday, Dec. 3, 2012 as: Texas considers coach's pay raise